Reports 2010

Attached are the 2010 Race Results.

Gunfleet’s New Year’s Eve Party proved to be a huge success with some 60 members joining in the celebrations to welcome in 2011 and the new sailing season.  With a carpeted and heated marquee in the compound there was the opportunity to chat in the clubhouse or dance in the marquee; whichever took your fancy.  A huge finger buffet was eagerly tucked into and all too soon the Club reverberated to the chimes of Big Ben as midnight appeared.  Everyone toasted the New Year with a glass of champagne, fireworks filled the air and it was time for Auld Lang Syne, followed by the Hoke

Gunfleet Sailing Club held its Annual General Meeting last Sunday 5 December in the Clubhouse when Commodore Richard Walker looked back at another very successful year.  There had been a record number of members in 2010, so much so that the Committee closed the doors to new members and now holds a waiting list.  The sailing season had seen a lot of activity on the water with all races taking place and all but one of the cruises.  Entries to the races had been high, peeking with the Gunfleet Regatta when 39 boats took part, providing some exciting and lively sailing, as well a

Members of the Gunfleet Sailing Club were busy removing the ice from their boats last Sunday 28 November in order to take part in the sixth and penultimate race of the Winter Series.  The temperature reading of -1 degree centigrade did not deter the competitors from taking to the water in a gentle offshore wind and they might light work of the reach to the Kingscliff buoy.  First to round the mark was Simon Clarke in his Solution with Paul Davis, also sailing a Solution, right behind him.  There then followed a very broad reach out to the Seaward buoy and it was surprising ho

Things are really starting to hot-up in the Gunfleet Sailing Club’s Winter Series with a real battle for overall victory between Simon Clarke and Paul Davis, both sailing Solution dinghies.

Gunfleet Sailing Club held the fourth race in its Winter Series last Sunday 14 November which initially looked as though it might not take place due to lack of wind.  However, a quarter of an hour before the start some rain began to fall, and with it came a very light offshore breeze.  Fortunately the rain then stopped but the light airs continued to fill in.  Surprisingly a number of the craft were over the line at the start although all but one realised the mistake and returned to correct their error.  However Matt Downing in his Contender took a while to spot the Indi

Gunfleet's Guy Fawkes Night was a massive success when on Saturday 6 November well over 100 members turned-up to enjoy a great evening of fireworks, flavoursome food and fantastic fun!

The second race in the Gunfleet Sailing Club Winter Series was held last Sunday 31 October in a light easterly breeze, grey skies and steady drizzle.  Sitting right on the line at the start was Paul Davis in his Solution but right behind him were Simon Clarke, Mark Venables and Eddie White, all three also sailing Solutions.  As the boats headed up the coast so the wind fell away and the slack tide began to flood, slowing down the progress of the fleet considerably.  First to be overcome with frustration was Andy Dunnett in his Laser and he retired back to the shore.  Kel

Gunfleet Sailing Club held the first race in the Winter Series last Sunday 24 October under blue skies and bright sunshine; however the cold north westerly wind reminded both competitors and spectators that it was late October.  Paul Davis got a very good start and lead the fleet on a reach up the coast to the Kingscliff buoy, when Simon Mathewson in his Vortex slipped ahead as the boats headed out to the Seaward mark.  However it was the beat back into shore that started to split the fleet on a particularly strong flood tide.  Yvonne Gough in her Laser was doing battle

The Gunfleet Sailing Club held its 2010 Laying-Up Dinner and Dance and Presentation of Trophies last Saturday evening 16 October at the Clacton on Sea Golf Club.  Gunfleet Commodore Richard Walker welcomed 97 members to the celebration and looked back at a year of records for the Club.  Due to the record membership numbers the Club had been forced to temporarily close the door to any further new members; and there had also been a record number of Cadets and Otters at 74.  The Gunfleet Regatta had seen a record number of entries at 39 boats and had raised over £550 for Clacton

A grey north-sea and force four gusting five easterly winds greeted the members of the Gunfleet Sailing Club when they arrived last Sunday 10 October to take part in the race for the Tee Dee Challenge Cup.  The conditions created a lively sea and this deterred a number of entries but there were still thirteen boats that took part.  In a closely bunched start it initially looked as though it could be anybody’s game but pulling ahead early on was Paul Stanton in his Laser; however this was short-lived when he capsized and, more seriously, caught his feet around the mainsheet. 

With southerly force 6 winds, gusting force 7, on Sunday 3 October the members of Gunfleet Sailing Club could only stare out from the clubhouse widows and think if only....

The Officer of the Day wisely hoisted code flags N over A, signalling that both the races for the Tee Dee Trophy and the third in the Autumn Series had been cancelled, and that there would be no further sailing that day.  

Last Sunday 26 September members of the Gunfleet Sailing Club took part in the second race of the Autumn Series.  The sky was heavy with grey cloud and there was a force five gusting six offshore wind and shortly before the start the heavens opened up bringing torrential rain.  This did however have a calming effect on the wind which subsided for a while.  Just after the start Andy Dunnett capsized in his Laser, followed by Ken Potts in his RS600, and this gave the opportunity for Simon Mathewson to take the lead in his Vortex which he kept on the reach to the Kingscliff buoy

Last Saturday 18 September Gunfleet Sailing Club held its End of Season Cruise when ten dinghies, accompanied by one of the Club Rescue Boats, headed up the coast on the last of the ebb tide. The sky was blue and the sun shone but the wind was both light and fickle in direction.  The fleet made slow but gentle progress and landed on the golden sands of Frinton for the crews to enjoy refreshment.  On the return journey the wind freshened and swung to a south westerly direction, resulting in a lively but pleasant beat back to the Club.

Fourteen boats took part in the race at the Gunfleet Sailing Club last Sunday 12 September for the Fleet Championships Trophy.  In a westerly force three the offshore wind provided some interesting gusts, sufficient to keep the helms on their toes.  With the flood tide under them the craft all got a bunched start and made short work of reaching to the Eastcliff buoy which, once rounded, then led to a run out to the Seaward mark.  All five Solutions were taking part and the battle at the head of the fleet was between Paul Davis and Simon Clarke whilst slightly further back the